We know you missed us a lot! April Meetup did not take place cause Easter et al. Although a bit late, May Nodejs Meetup is back! This time with our fellow Ruby thessrb folks. Our own Kostas Bariotis will talk about Database Migrations. Soledad Penades (Mozilla) will share her Node.js experience. Brendan Forster (GitHub) will join us. We’ll have surpises (DEVit tickets anyone?). We’ll end the night with a Halaruby at Gambrinus, where we’ll drink, talk, laugh, and have a great time!
This meetup is 3 days before DEVit so we will have many surprises and many “guests” that joined Thessaloniki earlier.
BEGIN BROADCASTING. DO NOT LOSE THIS MEETUP. I REPEAT. DO NOT LOSE THIS MEETUP. ONCE IN A LIFETIME EVENT! END BROADCASTING.
• Are you manually altering data to the production DB?
• Are you changing the schema when a dev releases a new feature?
• Are you continuously doing the same tasks and reinventing the wheel everyday
• Are your deployments break during the release cycle and you hide under your desk?
• Do you have multiple environments and you change data with regex patterns using Sublime?
• Do you believe you are cursed and no one can save you?
• Are you having trouble sleeping at night by doing all the aforementioned things?
Join us on Tuesday 17th of May and you might get your sleep back after all!
Database Migrations with Nodejs
A database is a vital part of every complex application. Databases change very often and contain data that can even disintegrate our whole application if they get out of sync. Changing a live database, whether it’s related to schema or data, can be hard. Modern apps, where Agile methodologies along with processes such as Continuous Integration apply, have raised the bar of complexity so maintaining a database separately from the application’s business logic can be quite painful. Fortunately, we have Database Migrations, a technique to help us keep our database changes under control. Kostas Bariotis will use us his magic wand to walk us through the through word of DB migrations.
The Road So Far
Soledad Penades will share with us her experience with Node.js and show us some nice goodies they have build over at Mozilla. Following the presentation we will have an open debate with our guest Mozillian! Fear her not! She is coming prepared with her Lightsaber so do your homework.
Halaruby announcement: http://www.meetup.com/thessrb/events/231159021/